Monday, December 10, 2012

Building Self-Esteem - Part 2: Self-Confidence Inventory Worksheet

One time I heard some self help advice that recommended that someone can build up their self-esteem by writing down as many positive things about themselves as possible. Then they can return to it often to focus their attention on their positive qualities, and they could also add to it every now and again.

So I decided to write down all my positive attributes, goals, accomplishments, and everything that makes me an overall “great guy,” etc. I wrote down the following headlines below and then filled in long lists using several bullet points. I then typed it out and go to it every now and again. I call it my self-confidence inventory worksheet.

For the reader, I recommend that you write down at least three positive and uplifting things below each question or headline:

- What is my intrinsic worth beyond labels, judgments, and imaginary concepts?
…..
- What are my future goals and plans? What is my vision for the future?
- What is my purpose or my mission in life? What is my "calling," or the "cause greater than myself," through (and for) which I seek to contribute to the world?
- How I can give back and contribute to my friends, family, community, and the world? What will my legacy be—how can I give back to the earth and humanity?
- What am I passionate about? How can I turn that into a mission that gives me a purpose?
- What are my bodily goals regarding health and fitness? 
- What are my goals regarding family, friendships, and social connections? 
- I want to experience the following new experiences this year (list at least three):
.....
- What are the attributes, strengths, qualities, and character traits that make me unique and a good friend, parent, sibling, or uncle/aunt, etc? 
- What makes me a good lover and romantic partner?
- Why do I have high value as a human being? What I have to offer to a friend, lover, and team is (make a list)?
- How I am physically/socially attractive (make a list):
…..
- What I want in my friendships (character traits, values, virtues, skills, etc.):
- What I want in a romantic partner (character traits, values, virtues, skills, etc.):
- When I’m in a relationship I want to feel and experience (make a list):
…..
- I accept myself right here and right now and release myself from the need to be infallible because ___________________ (fill in the blank)
- I’m unique and the only version of me in that I ___________(fill in the blank)
- I believe in myself because __________________________(fill in the blank)
…..
- I like myself because:
- I love myself and practice self-compassion, personal-validation, and self-acceptance because:
- I respect myself because:
- I’m going to look in the mirror today and smile at myself, give myself an accepting hug, and say kind, uplifting, and supportive words to myself because:
…..
- I’m grateful for:
- I’ve been “blessed” (experienced good fortune) in life by the following:
- My loved ones and I deserve the best in life because:

The Art of Awareness and Letting Go to Let "God"

 * The following is a brief summary of the secular practice of Mindfulness, and Eastern wisdom as I understand it being combined with Christ...